Wednesday, May 28, 2014

We don't need no stinking mixes

I don't usually feel the need to toot my own horn, but I thought I'd tell you guys about the delicious food I've been making. I feel like I've recently really stepped up my game, dinner wise recently. It might have something to do with the fact that Andriy and I are using more fresh ingredients when we cook and fewer boxes and mixes.
For example, I grew up on chili made with Chilli Man seasoning. That's how my mom always it made it, it's super easy and it makes really tasty chili. We kind of quit buying it, mainly just to save money, so when I recently got a hankering to make chili, I had to figure out my own recipe.

I did a little searching and came up with this reaaaallllly good chili recipe that has an interesting ingredient: unsweetened cocoa powder! Here it is:

1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I added a bit more to make it spicier)
2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can red kidney beans (or whatever beans you like), undrained

Ok, cook the beef, onion & garlic over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, or until the beef is brown (stirring occasionally.) I also added some fresh peppers at this point. Drain the grease (or don't if you like it a little greasy like Steak 'n' Shake chili.)
Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans. heat to boiling. reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about an hour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the beans. Heat it to boiling again, then reduce heat to low. simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's your desired thickness.

If at any point it looks too thick to you, just add some water or tomato juice. You can always boil the extra moisture out if it looks too thin.

The cocoa in this chili adds a really interesting and delicious element. I like to eat my chili with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream and maybe some oyster crackers.
YUUUUMMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment