Wednesday, June 29, 2011

You're gonna want more cowbell.

Good afternoon friends! It's a beautiful day in Jacksonville! Not a cloud in the sky! (that one's for you Jdo.)
It's officially summer and I sure hope you took advantage of that longest day of the year to get some crap done. On the longest day of the year in Ukraine, did you know that there's only, like, 4 hours of dark? That is so rad. Of course that means that the shortest day of the year had only about 4 hours of light. That was awful.
Yeah, Ukrainians celebrate this day, called Ivan Kupala, by bathing nude in rivers and lakes and jumping over fires and playing fortune-telling games. I think we should start doing that here. Whaddya say?
We have had some insanity with crazy rain and storms in our area. I think it's an "El Nino" year...which might be to blame. Am I right? or was that last year?

Andriy and I got stuck in a wicked bad storm on the way home from Springfield this past weekend. We had to pull over to the side of the road and we were literally so freaked out that we were clinging to each other and scared for our lives. Not good. But, as you can tell, we made it out okay. Now the weather is very pretty...just in time for the 4th of July!
I've been trying to think of some good music to take up to Dubuque with us this weekend, maybe to take out and jam to on the river. One of my summer anthems is Peter Bjorn and John, "Second Chance" Damn, it is catchy:

I'm pretty sure that song actually doesn't need more cowbell. It has just the right amount.

The following is not a video - just a great song. I think this band, Winter Gloves, is Canadian. What is it with me and Canadian bands? Maybe I should move to Toronto? That would really make my parents mad...especially if I immediately got pregnant upon moving.

Oh, by the way, Andriy and I went to see the movie "Super 8" and we really liked it. Produced by Spielberg and directed by J.J. Abrams, you get the good feelings and great characters from "The Goonies" and "E.T." and the mystery from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "Lost." It's cool. You should go see it while it's in the theaters. Enjoy the massive train wreck scene. It's spectacular.
All for now. Happy Independence Day!



1 comment: