Saturday, July 9, 2011

More summer stuff!

Andriy and I are enjoying the first free weekend of the summer. We're going to do some yard stuff, some house stuff...and then I'm thinking about chilling in the pool with a beer. That's what you're supposed to do with summer, right?
I'm listening to, at this very moment, a great song by Dirty Gold - "California Sunrise." If you don't like this song, you don't like summer and you must hate the beach.

The hubby and I just spent a great weekend in Dubuque for Independence Day. It's one of my favorite places to spend that holiday. First, there's the Mississippi River - and if you know someone with a boat and the weather is nice, you must go out on the water for at least a little bit. Of course, the river is crowded that weekend, but it's okay because there are plenty of places to tie up and chill.
Second, there's a really cool air show with lots of airplanes doing tricks and, if you get a good spot way up on the bluff (like we always do, thanks to the Fluhrs,) you get a front row seat. Then you can sit on the grassy lawn and look at the beautiful city below you, perched on the banks of the river.
Third, Dubuque itself is a totally charming town, big enough to have lots to do, but small enough so you don't feel totally overwhelmed. There's a great number of little bars to check out, all in a row so you can just walk down the strip. The people are laid back midwesterners, never in too much of a hurry (unless they're trying to get on the river before it gets busy.) Plus, it's really pretty. It's right there, on the river, and half the city is up on the bluffs. Andriy and I love it. You should go check it out.

Check out this song by Temper Trap - "Fader"

I hope you don't mind my interrupting myself with youtube videos. I'm hoping to hold your interest a little longer with good music. Is it working?

I have to share the perfect vanilla ice cream recipe with you. It's from Alton Brown ( I have the first two Good Eats cook books) and here's the link to it. It is soooo rich and creamy - nothing like the homemade ice cream I grew up with, which i still love. So far, i've made it twice and i haven't added anything extra to it. But i think that next time, i might add some coffee and chocolate chips. mmmmm.



No comments:

Post a Comment