Saturday, November 12, 2011

Once upon a melancholy time

If you look at my channel presets on the Xm radio in our car, you will find AltNation, then The Verge, SiriusXM U, Classic Vinyl, 80's on 8 and then 40's on 4. Obviously AltNation is alternative rock, Classic Vinyl is classic rock from the 60's and 70's, 80's on 8 is obvious and 40's on 4 is awesome pop and big band music from the 40's. SiriusXM U is great indie rock, which is always nice for some forgotten or semi-undiscovered indie track. But my favorite is probably The Verge, because it's Canadian and that's where you can dig out the really unheard-of-as-of-yet bands. Plus, they play a lot of Arcade Fire and Metric (both bands based in Canada.) In fact, that's where i first heard Metric. Why am i rambling on about my favorite XM stations? Just to test if you will read through anything i post. You've passed...so far. *insert mysterious suspenseful music*

Now, one more bit about my fave XM stations - in the past 40's on 4 has changed to Holiday Traditions around mid November, which features classic Christmas and holiday songs from the 40's to the 60's. You'll hear stuff from Nat King Cole and the ultimate Christmas crooner, Bing Crosby. Let me tell you, I am ready for it! Call me crazy, but I am always excited for Christmas time. We decorate our house and watch Christmas movies and i get to bake a lot and there are lots of excuses to get together with my friends and family. And it gets snowy. I love this time of year. I'm holding off on the Christmas music and movies and we won't decorate until beginning of December probably. So right now, it's all about the anticipation.

Andriy and I watched the most amazing movie last night. Don't make fun of me for not seeing it yet, because it was released in 2006 while i was in Ukraine. The movie is Once, starring Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. I added it to our Netflix queue some time ago, intrigued by the description: "In this charming contemporary musical helmed by John Carney, a street musician (Glen Hansard) in Dublin, Ireland, strikes up a friendship with a migrant street hawker (Markéta Irglová), and the duo ends up composing and recording a series of songs over the course of a week. The tunes mirror their burgeoning romance and help the young busker release his musical passions. The actors wrote the tunes they perform, winning an Oscar for their efforts." That is taken, verbatim, from Netflix.

We haven't been paying much attention to our Netflix queue, so we've received some "don't really care about it" movies in the mail. Two days ago, when "Once" came in the mail, Andriy and I were kind of like "eh." I think we almost put it back in the mail without watching it. In fact, last night as i was putting the DVD in the player, I said, if this movie sucks or we're not feeling it in the beginning, we don't have to finish it, we'll just put it back in the mail. After watching it, I am so glad we gave it a chance. It is wonderful. Glen Hansard plays the lead male role. I didn't even know who he was, but when i heard him playing his guitar and singing on the streets of Dublin at the beginning of the film, i said "Hey, that sounds like the singer of the Frames." I looked it up on imdb and, whaddya know? I was right. The Frames is probably my favorite Irish band ever. I would possibly give my left foot to see them live, that's how good they are.

So, the film is so charming, and it's about the two main characters meeting on the streets of Dublin and writing music together over about a week's time and falling in love with each other. It is really lovely and the music is wonderful.You need to go watch that sweet film, Once, and you need to go check out The Frames and also check out The Swell Season, which is the group formed by Hansard and Irglova.

Here's the trailer for the film:

And here's one of my favorite songs by The Frames - "Your Face" from their album "Set List" (possibly the best live album i've ever heard)


All this really makes me want to go back to Ireland so i can share it with Andriy...maybe next year?
Anyway, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment